Fuji Apple pie
I cannot lattice for the life of me but I make a mean Fuji apple pie. Fuji apples are firm, with a sweet and tart flavor profile. Perfect apples for making pies. So you can omit the lattice part and just cover the pie with a thin layer of pie crust or make a crumb streusel on top all of it is easy to do.
Pie instructions isn’t easy to write, so bare with me as these instructions go back and forth from pie crust to filling back. But it works! Any further questions ask me.
Let’s get started with making the Pie!
Pie crust recipe
1 Frozen stick of unsalted butter
2 cups of flour ( all-purpose or bread flour)
extra flour for working with the dough
1 tsp of salt
2 oz of cold shorting ( omit it if you don’t want shortening)
( Cold shorting stick 2 oz of it into the fridge over night or for 2 hours)
1/2 cup Ice cold water
Food processor, pastry blend or two works to cut the butter into the flour. Any of these tool will work just pick one method.
You’ll need a flat surface and a rolling pin for kneading and rolling out dough.
Pie crust Instructions
- Using a food process pour in 2 cups of flour. Pulse 9x and take out into a bowl. Add the salt to flour. The flour and butter should look like sand with lumps.
- Taking some Ice cold water add a little of water to the flour mixture using your hands work to form a dough. You probably will not need more than 1/2 cup of less to form a dough.
- Flatten out the dough into a disc and wrap into plastic and refrigerate the dough for about 30 minutes.
- Blind baking is important, that is using raw beans and wax paper to help weigh down the pie crust so it doesn’t shrink.
Apple Pie Filling
5 large Fuji apples,1 small lemon
3 TBsp of Unsalted butter
1/2 cup of granulated sugar
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/4 tsp of cinnamon
1/4 cup of potato starch
- Taking Fuji apples rinse, peel and slice them up and set into a large bowl.
- Now, take unsalted butter bits and scatter them into the apples.
- Add the granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and potato starch
- Squeeze some half of a lemon into the apples mix it well with a spoon or your hands.
- Let the pie filling sit in the bowl for about 20-30 minutes.
Mean while go back to the the pie crust. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Take the pie crust out and roll it out thin and lay it into a proper pie pan. Poke wholes on the bottom of the pan and place wax paper over it and use pie weights and bake in the oven for about 15-18 minutes. This is called blind baking. You don’t need it to be fully baked just partial so baking will be faster with pie filling.
Pie crust topping
You cannot lattice a pie, but I have fun with it. You can also do a crumble topping which I love to do whenever I don’t feel like lattice. You can alway take a cover the pie with a pie crust which is traditional way to decorate a pie.
Take 2 oz of flour, mix it with 4 Tbsp of unsalted butter, and 2 oz of sugar and brown sugar and crushed pecans, walnuts or oat meal. It’s up to you how you want to do that.
Set into the refrigerator if you don’t plan to use it right away.
Back to the the Apple Pie!
- When the pie filling is looking juicy, liquids have been drawn out.
- Fill your pie crust up with pie filling and place whatever pie covering you like.
- Brush some egg wash on top of the pie crust if you’re doing lattice or pie crust cover. It gives a nice shine to the pie.
- Bake the pie for about 35 minutes in 375 degree oven, and allow it to cool for 5 hour or more!
Important pie tips you have to do!
Pie crust cannot too dry or too wet so be careful how you mix the pie dough.
I found potato starch to give the pie the best thickening agent for the apples.
Always let your pie cool about 5 hour or better 8 hours. The more it has time the cool the better your pie will be. You can always warm back up in the oven.