Grilled Cheese Chicken Sandwich
The famous grilled cheese sandwich. I decided to take it to another level and made in a panini style sandwich. I wanted to combine cheese and baked chicken breast with snow pea tips, that I made the night before to add to this sandwich. It is important to use cooked chicken when you’re making a grilled cheese sandwich or panini. This will cook a lot safer and evenly. I will also show the steps with some pictures, so the process will be a bit easier for this recipe, if you aren’t into cooking or just want some more detailed explanations. I dedicated this to my dear friend Kelsey, who is still recovering from her surgery, love you and miss you so much!
Grilled Chicken Sandwich 4-5 people
Chicken breast with snow pea tips or substitute it with spinach or kale (need to be made ahead of time)
1 chicken breast fillet butterflied cut into half
2 ounces of snow pea tips or spinach, (washed and tried)
- Old Bay seasoning, kosher salt, black pepper and granulated garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of mince garlic
- canola oil or blended olive oil
- Pre-heat the oven 420 degrees, then look for a oven proof casserole dish or pan that can be used in the oven.
- On a cutting board, butterfly the chicken breast in half and then cut into quarters. Seasoning it up by eye balling the seasoning and season from up high to see where the seasoning land on the chicken. Place chicken in oven proof dish or pan.
- Wash our hands off and dry it well. Next wash the snow pea tips or fresh spinach in cold water and dry it well.
- Cut the snow pea tips in thirds and place all around the chicken, next add minced 2 cloves garlic and place all around chicken and snow pea tips.
- Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of blended olive oil or canola oil.
- Bake in the oven at 420 degrees for about 20-22 minutes. Chicken breast doesn’t take long to cook and it can be easily dried out, if you don’t keep time and use a thermometer to test the internal temperature of the chicken breast. Cooked chicken breast internal temperate is 165 F. Take it out, let it cool down completely before you make into a sandwich.
- Chicken and snow peas tip dish can be made one day ahead, before you make the sandwich so making the grilled cheese sandwich will be vey easy.
Grilled cheese chicken sandwich
Mise en place (everything in it’s place before you cook it)
- Bread, shredded melty cheese, I used Chihuahua cheese
- cooked chicken and snow pea tips sliced up
- spreadable butter (salted butter)
- fresh basil (optional)
- Taking a medium size non stick frying pan, turn the heat to medium high.
- Assemble the sandwiches and make sure you have spatula and a lid to help crisp up and flip over the sandwiches
Take those slices of bread add some cheese then a few pieces of chicken and snow pea tips, more cheese and rip some fresh basil to release it’s flavor and place on top of the cheese, then place the second slice of bread right on top. Next repeat the same thing so you can possibly cook up two sandwiches at one time.
- Take about 1 teaspoon of the butter and gently add to the hot pan, then gently lay down two sandwiches, if it fits on the medium size pan. It should fit. You’ll hear a nice sizzle. Place a small lid on top, which acts like a press. Let it cook about 2 minutes on each side, adding an additional 1 teaspoon of butter when you flip it over with the spatula. You might need to use your hand touching the non cooked side of the bread to flip it over safely. It’s a very delicate flip.
- Once the sandwich is browned nicely on each side plate it up
Serve it hot and fresh immediately for a crowd pleaser for your friends or family members.