Roasted Chicken with Maille Dijon & Honey Mustard rub
There are probably hundreds of roasted chicken recipes out there. The most popular way to roast chicken is with dry spice rubs and brines. However, this was my first time trying a dijon and honey mustard rub and I’d totally do this again. The mustards along with a nice spice rub and lemon juice give locks in the moisture in the chicken when roasting in the hot oven. The results are beautiful crispy skin with a juicy chicken on the inside. Since I used chicken quarters there’s no need to add any type of butter or olive oil in the preparation. Dark meat has its own oils that come out onto the pan, allowing whatever vegetables you decide to roast in a pan to absorb flavors. I would toss in the vegetables of choice halfway into the cooking process, instead of the beginning. I love it in a picture for color. When it comes to spice and mustard rub, I am eyeballing all of these measurements. So this is just a rough estimate feel free to adjust more or less. If you’re missing any of the dry spice rubs it’s okay. The most important is the seasonings like old bay, salt, and white pepper. Substituting black pepper for white pepper is fine too. The results will still be fantastic.
Ingredients – Serving size 2
2 chicken quarters
Dry Spice rub and seasonings
1-2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
1-2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1-2 teaspoon White pepper powder
1-2 teaspoon granulated garlic
1-2 teaspoon paprika
1-2 teaspoons of rosemary
1-2 teaspoon of thyme
2-3 Tablespoons Maille’s Dijon
2-3 Tablespoon honey mustard
1/2 of fresh-squeezed lemon juice and lemon slices
5 cloves of peeled and sliced up fresh garlic
Broccoli or Brussels sprouts (whatever you have on hand that is good for roasting)
Garnish with any fresh herbs
Instructions – Preheat oven to 450 degrees on roast mode or baking mode either one work
- In a baking dish sprinkle generously the dry spice rubs. Start from the bottom of the chicken then turn it over and finish seasoning on the tops.
- In a small bowl add the dijon and honey mustard together with about half of a lemon juice and rub it all over the chicken. From front to back, the chicken gets a good massage rub of delicious mustards.
- Peel 5 garlic cloves and slice them up put them all around the chicken and add slices of lemon.
- Add some fresh parsley or basil or both if you have it
- Set aside a roasting vegetable like broccoli, you can totally add roasted cut potatoes too.
- When the oven reaches 450 degrees, it’s time to roast the chicken. Set a timer for about 45 minutes. Set a separate timer for adding vegetables.
- About 20 minutes into the baking time add the vegetables. Then finish the cooking time.
- The internal temperature of the chicken needs to reach 165F and 73.9 C.
- The chicken should have skin crisped and browned on top.
- Serve the chicken with rice or roasted or mashed potatoes.