Bok Choy and Lap Cheong
Being Chinese I can’t help but love two basic foods for a simple dinner. Bok choy and lap cheong. It’s a staple for most Chinese families and it got me through college. It’s cheap and filling. You have some savory sausage with some sweet crispy fresh bok choy it is so good! I stick the the lap cheong right into the rich cooker while I cook up the rice for dinner. It kills two birds with one stone. If somehow I forget to this I just boil the Lap cheong in a small pot with water for about 15-20 minutes. It works and taste the same.
Ingredients for Bok Choy
1 big talk of Boy Choy, wash submerged in a big pot and clean really well
2-3 cloves of garlic peeled and minced
2 -3 dashes of salt
2 dashes of white or black pepper
1 TBSP black bean garlic sauce
1/2 cup of water
1 TBSP corn starch ( Tapioca starch)
Splash of Chinese Cooking wine (Shaoxing wine)
1 TBSP of Sugar
- Prep all the bok choy wash and cut it up. Peel and mince the garlic
- On medium high heat using a wok or frying pan add some cooking oil.
- Once the oil is hot enough add the boy choy then salt and pepper and place a lid on top to allow it to wilt slightly
- At this time taking a small prep bowl add black bean garlic sauce 1/2 cup of water and the splash of Chinese cooking wine and starch. Dissolve the starch into the water mixture.
- Take the lid off the wok and stir the bok choy and add the fresh minced garlic and toss again and then add 1 TBSP of sugar and the black bean garlic water mixture. This will form a gravy and thicken quickly. Make sure your heat is slightly higher than medium high and keep a close on it!
- Once the sauce has thicken taste the gravy and bok choy to see if it has enough flavor. If it doesn’t add more salt or pepper. It shouldn’t be blasting with flavor as lap cheong is very salty sausage.
- Plate the bok choy and place the lap cheong over the bok choy eat with a warm bowl of Jasmine rice! So easy and delicious I love it and never get tired of it.