Tomato Pepper Beef Chow Mein (Noodles)
Tomato pepper beef with chow mein noodles. You can really use whatever noodles you find at the Asian market, but just make sure it’s egg noodle of sorts. There different types of thickness and thinness. You follow the direction on the package as to how to cook the noodles before you combine it with whatever topping you are making for the dish. In this case, we are making Tomato pepper beef. The best beef to stir fry in any Chinese dish is flank steak. Flank steak is sold pretty much everywhere, but the best deal I’ve found has been at Costco. Flank steak is easy to cut on a slant against the grain of the meat, so that it is not tough when you marinade and cook it for the dish. So look at the steak closely and see the lines of the meat and then turn it to cut in opposite direction on a slant with a sharp chef’s knife at least 8 inches long. Life is easier when we can use a sharp knife and cut steak against the grain. World of difference in preparing for marinade and when go to cook it, the texture will be edible.
Tomato Pepper Beef Chow Mein Recipe serving size for 4-5 people
Ingredients and instruction for Flank Steak Marinade
- 1 1/2 lbs of flank steak cut into thin slices then marinade
- Marinade it in a bowl with 1 minced garlic
- 1 large slice of ginger, sliced into thin pieces, maybe into fourths
- 1-2 tablespoons of lite soy sauce, dark soy sauce, Shaoxing, sesame oil, granulated sugar and cooking oil. Combine mix well and put into the refrigerator for about an hour or more.
Making the Chow Mein
Cooking oil for entire time you cook this recipe its used in 1-2 Tablespoons at a time
4 bags of egg noodles, cook according to the directions.
1 Large green bell peppers -wash and sliced
Optional : if you have any bok choy, wash and chop it up and add to the topping.
1 1/2 lbs of Flank steak = Have your red meat out and get it to room temperature before cooking it. Why? So the red meat cooks evenly as cold meat tends to tense up in the hot pan. We desire chewable easy to swallow red meat.
1 – 2 green bell peppers sliced lengthwise
10 Roma tomatoes – quarter them
1 cup of cold water or beef stock
2 Tablespoons of Cornstarch
1 Tablespoon of soy sauce
1 Tablespoon of Dark Soy sauce
2 Tablespoon of black bean garlic
1 teaspoon of shaoxing wine
2 minced fresh garlic
4 stalks of fresh green onions on the side washed and give it diagonal rough chop.
taste before seasonings it and lastly add
1- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt, black pepper and oyster sauce
- In a hot wok with a little oil and salt cook up pan fry the chow mein noodles to a slight crisp, then place on a platter or deep tray. Cook all the noodles first then you can now start the topping!
- In a clean wok, heat wok on medium high heat add cooking oil. As wok heats up, make sure the marinaded flank steak is out and at room temperature. If you didn’t do that, lower the heat on the stove. Then go prepare the green pepper and tomatoes for the recipes and set it aside for later.
- Return to the stove and stir-fry the beef until it is medium done and place into a bowl. Set it aside for later.
- Next on medium heat it’s time to place the bell peppers and tomatoes into the wok with a little salt and pepper. Place lid on top so tomatoes can release it’s juices forming a sauce.
- Cornstarch Slurry mixture, 1 cup of cold water or cold beef stock, add the Shaoxing wine, fresh minced garlic, black bean garlic, soy sauce and dark soy sauce all in one bowl and mix it with the cornstarch really well.
- Return to the wok and uncover the wok. You will see the tomatoes and bell peppers have wilted and you can now pour in the cornstarch slurry mixture with all it’s flavor goodness mixed into it. Turn the heat slightly higher, because cornstarch will not thicken unless there is a boil and then lower it to a simmer once sauce is thickened. Add a pinch of sugar, and add the beef back into the wok to allow it to cook completely with the tomatoes, green pepper and sauce. Let it cook and marry together for about 1-2 minutes. Turn off heat. Taste it before you add some oyster sauce. Once you find it to be tasty enough add the chopped green onions and then pour the tomato pepper beef sauce topping over the tray of noodles and serve it up immediately.
- Optional if you want it to be spicy just leave a bottle of your favorite hot chili sauce on the side for people to use as they please.