Spicy Tuna roll
If you’re looking at this recipe it’s because you want to make a spicy tuna roll at home! And why not? It’s a fun project and it makes for an amazing dinner treat. I didn’t have a whole lot of ingredient in the home to make my spicy tuna only the very basic ingredients. You can be always use cucumber or avocado, but you want to use one or the other to keep it simple. Yes You can use all these ingredients but they have to cut very thin and in small amounts. You don’t want to burst the roll making it. Tip: 1. High quality grade tuna ( the best is ensures flavor )
- Tip: 2. Get a good sharp chef’s knife ( it helps with slicing rolls smoothly)
- Tip: 3. Bamboo sushi matt ( cannot roll successfully without a matt)
- Tip: 4 Plastic food safety gloves ( so the rice doesn’t stick to your hands
- Tip: 5 Hot water for cutting the sushi rolls with your sharp knife
1/2 lb of Sashimi Tuna ( sometimes sashimi comes with wasabi)
2 cups of sushi rice cooked and ready to roll
3-4 sheets of Nori
1 bottle of Sriracha Mayo ( store bought is easier)
sweet pickle ginger
Spicy Tuna Roll
- Slice up the tuna in stripes for rolling, and using the green part of the scallion flatten it and slice it in half. Set them onto a plate for grabbing to use as needed.
- Have your bamboo matt wrapped in plastic wrap and your plastic gloves on.
- Place a nori sheet onto work the center of the matter. It doesn’t matter what side you are using because this is inside out sushi style.
- Taking about 2 oz of the sushi rice lay out onto the nori. You want the sushi rice to be evenly covering the rice. You might need to grab a little more rice to help out.
- Gently taking the nori flip it over having the black side on top and the rice on the bottom of the matt.
- Add the slice tuna and scallion. Taking your hands roll the away from you. Then take the bamboo matt to tighten up the roll.
- Using a sharp chef knife, rinse in hot water before you cut the sushi into rolls. You can also have a cup of hot water in a large cup to dip the knife into.
- Dollop of Sriracha mayo on top of the tuna or do it how you would like it.
Optional: You can take the left over tuna and slice them on a slant like you would see at a Sushi restaurant. It makes sashimi slices lay on top of the tuna roll you made to give it a different flare. Let your creative juices flow when making sushi it is fun.
Incase you need a Sushi rice recipe here it is!
Sushi rice recipe
3 cups of Sushi rice ( sticky short grain rice)
1/2 cup Mirin
1 tsp Rice vinegar
3 TBsp sugar
2 pinches salt
- 3 cups of washed sticky sushi rice. You need to wash the rice until the water runs clear. Then let the rice soak in the water for at least 30 minute before you cook it in the rice cooker.
- While the rice is cooking. Make the seasoning for the rice. In a pot over medium heat. Pour in mirin, rice vinegar and dissolve the sugar and salt. Turn the heat off and let the mixture cool.
- When the rice is cooked, take the rice out into a bowl and set it cool down.