Doenjang Jjigae is basically a spicy Korean soy bean paste stew. The base is the anchovy stock. From there you add the Doenjang paste, zucchini, onions, tofu and green onions. To make it super spicy add red chili pepper and a fresh hot red chili pepper seeds and all.
Doenjang Jjigae, or Soybean Paste Stew
4 cups of anchovy stock
2-3 TBSP Soybean paste ( spicy kind)
1/2 of Firm Tofu
2 tsp Chili Pepper powder
1 small yellow onion
Fresh chili pepper
salt and pepper
- Make the Anchovy stock using the recipe I have on my blog.
- After you have the anchovy stock made, dissolve the soy bean paste into the hot stock.
- Slice onion and garlic. Add of these items to the stock pot. Add the chili pepper powder.
- Add Fresh chili pepper, you can cut it and deseed it if you don’t want it super spicy.
- Let the stew simmer for about 20-25 minutes on medium heat, with a lid on.
- In the mean time slice up the zucchini, tofu and scallions.
- Toss in the zucchini, tofu and scallions and turn up the heat up with lid up. Add some salt and pepper to the stew and taste it. Add more if you like to.
- Turn off the heat once you see it bubbling.
- Enjoy with some warm sticky rice.