Duk Guk ( Tteok guk (떡국) )
My version of Duk Guk
Easy New Year soup to make and I love it! Especially when you’re not feeling well, It hits the spot. Here we go let’s make Duk Guk.
Recipe serves 4 bowls
2.0 L of Anchovy stock ( water, dried anchovies, kelp and garlic)
1 small white onion
2-3 Tbsp of Dashida beef bouillon
3 oz of Bulgogi slice beef any beef for that matter works.
Rice cakes ( half of bag)
nori ( dried seaweed)
- Taking a pot that can fill about 2.0 L of water this is about half way in a small pot more than half way in a larger pot. Eye ball it this soup can be forgiving.
- Make your anchovy stock, put anchovies, kelp and garlic and the onion into the water and simmer for 30 minutes. If you have cheese cloth or strainer ball that would be best to use. If not you will have to remove these items before you continue to make the soup.
- Next add dashida, slice beef and rice cakes and turn heat up to higher simmer place a lid.
- On a different burner with a frying pan, you will fry 2 scramble eggs, making a garnish. Scramble the eggs in a bowl, add a little oil to the pan and make a thin omelet and thin slice up into pieces.
- wash and slice up the scallions prepare for the garnish and flavor.
- When the rice cakes are tender, and the beef is cooked.
- Taste the soup before you add anything else. If it’s not flavorful enough add 1 tsp of Dashida. Add the egg and scallions to the soup and serve it up!
You will never need to add salt or pepper to this soup recipe because dashida has salt in it.