Korean Glass Noodles – Jap Chae
Jap Chae is delicious sweet potato noodles and it’s popular. It can be a lot of work but we can do this easier by following these steps.
- 1 bag of Sweet potato starch noodles ( stock at least two bunches in hot water for about 30 minutes)
- 1 bag Match Stick Carrots ( buy this in the store already shredded)
- 2 bunches of fresh spinach ( wash thoroughly by submerging in cold water)
- 1 yellow onion ( white is fine too)
- 1 Red bell pepper ( yellow is fine too)
- Shiitake mushrooms and white button mushrooms ( If you don’t have both it’s okay one kind of mushrooms is fine too)
- 2 tbsp of fresh minced garlic
- 1-2 tsbp sesame oil and sesame seeds
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 2tsbp soy sauce
1/4 cup of sugar
1 tsp mirin ( sweet rice wine)
1- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
1/2 lb Bulgogi meat ( optional)
- 1) Onions need to be sliced length wise, carrots should come pre-shred to make life easier. Garlic should be minced, shiitake mushrooms soften and cut lengthwise and green onions sliced lengthwise thinly. We want to see color this this noodle dish.
- 2) Assuming you have washed your spinach, shocked it in cold water and Drained the spinach into a colander. Next cut the spinach in half and then in fours because you don’t want to choke on spinach.
- 3) Next step is to take a pot of water let it come to a boil, and cook the glass noodles that have been soaking in some warm water. It takes about 4 minutes if the water is boiling hot. You can taste the noodles to taste for chewable texture. If it’s still not cooked let it boil for just 1 minute longer. Take the noodles into a colander and cool it down with cold water. Drain it and put into a big bowl. Add 1 tsp of sesame oil to the noodles set it aside.
- 4) Take a frying pan and started to cook up the rest of the vegetables.
- Oil in the pan and cook up the onions, carrots and bell pepper together. Season with garlic, salt, and pepper. Stir it allow it to cook and wilt a bit. Then add about 1 tsp of mirin. Cover with the lid and allow it to cook for about 2 minutes.
- We want to keep full color of the carrots and bell pepper at the same time we want it to be cooked enough to be soft. Keep a close on it. When it is cooked pour all of it into the bowl with the noodles.
5) Add oil to the pan and cook up the boiled spinach only for like 2 minute. You want to add some minced garlic, sugar, sesame seed oil and soy sauce. Toss it well for about 1 minute and set into the bowl. Once everything is cooked place into the bowl with the noodles.
6) Now it’s time to get a little messy. Have the soy sauce, sugar, sesame seeds and sesame seed oil next to you. You may also want your black pepper as well.
Mix with clean hands and season to taste! I like mine more sweeter so I add about 2-3 tbsp of sugar. If you like it with less sugar than just had 1 tbsp of sugar. But be careful with using sesame seed oil and soy sauce. You want enough to give it flavor but not too strong. Taste and flavor over and over until you like it.