Easy French Toast with fresh Strawberries
If Asian Momma can make french toast you can too! I wanted to go off the beaten track and add an American breakfast dish to the menu. I used the left over day old French baguette, which makes for perfect French toast. I guess it’s the Chinese in me that says ” don’t waste good left over bread.” You can use any fresh fruit in the house to decorate your French toast. Even canned fruit is fine. It makes for a great way to eat without using heavy syrup.
- day old bread ( baguettes)
- 3 eggs
- 1 dash of cinnamon (add 2 dashes if you want more)
- 1 TBSP of milk
- 1 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup of powder sugar
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 3-4 slices of fresh strawberries ( whatever if you have around)
- cooking oil
- Taking a non-stick pan place onto the burner and set it on medium high heat and while the pan heats up, you can take a prep bowl and crack three eggs, add cinnamon, milk and whisk it with a fork.
- Next cut slices of day old baguette or whatever bread you find lying around
- Add some cooking oil to the pan and swirl the oil around to let it coat lightly.
- Dip the bread into the egg mixture and lay onto the pan. You can cook up to 4 pieces at a time. Use a spatula to turn it over. It only takes about 1 minute for it to brown.
- Place the french toast onto a plate.
- You will need a stand mixer or an electric hand mixer. You can whip by hand with a metal whisk, but that’s if you want a serious arm work out. I’m lazy I use my stand mixer fitted with a balloon whisk.
- Place the balloon whisk into the freezer for about 2-3 minutes
- Using a glass measuring cup, measure about 1 cup of heavy whipping cream set that into the refrigerator for about 5 minutes.
- In the mean time, wash and slice up fresh fruit
- When everything is nice and cold the balloon whisk and the heavy whipping cream you’re ready to make the cream.
- Pour the heavy whipping cream into the mixing bowl fitted with the balloon whisk and whisk on medium high first for 1 minute. Then once you see it forming turn the mixer to a faster speed for an additional 1 minute, then add powder sugar to let it set up thicker. You should see peaks forming. Turn off the mixer once you see it looks like fluffy cream. Add some vanilla extract and slowly whisk it for 3 seconds. It’s is ready to be pipped onto the fresh toast and plated up with fresh fruit.
- You can as an option dust more powder sugar on top of the french toast if you want an extra sweeter flavor. This is an alternative to a heavy syrup French Toast.
This French toast dish makes for a great brunch time food. You can surprise your love one with it and the children enjoy anything with whip cream and strawberries!