Hot Dog California rolls (unconventional rolls)
It’s an unconventional sushi roll for me this week. It’s a good excuse to use some Mayonnaise and mustard to drizzle on something delicious easy to make for whenever! Please check out this recipe as I know kids and adults will enjoy it.
Recipe goes as follows
- 1 cooked Kosher Hot Dog ( boil on high in a pot for 15 minutes)
- sushi rice ( sticky rice) see my post
- Sushi rice seasoning will be posted below.
- Miso Scallion omelette
- Toasted sesame seeds both white and black
Miso Scallion Omelette
- 3 eggs
- soy sauce
- salt and white pepper
- In a non-stick pan on medium high heat add some cooking oil about 1 TBSP. Let it get hot. In the meantime taking a small bowl whisk in three eggs with a fork.
- Wash and cut scallions add them to the egg mixture. Add 1/4 tsp of miso. Then add 1 tsp of sugar and soy sauce. Two pinches of salt and white pepper. Whisk again.
- Add the egg mixture to the hot non-stick pan. Let it form into an omelette shape before rolling into an egg roll and plating it. Let the omelette cool down to handle for the sushi rolls.
Hot dog California roll (use plastic gloves it will make life easier)
- Using a bamboo met place nori lay onto the matt. Using your hand grab a small hand ful of sticky rice and gently spread the rice from center out. Evenly as possible.
- Turn the nori over. Slice the cooked kosher hot dog in half lengthwise. Lay down a slice of hotdog and then a strip of the omelette. Gently pick up the nori and roll away from you tightly. Then use the bamboo matt to tighten it. It helps to secure the roll and makes it stay together.
- Sprinkle the toasted seame seeds all over and cut into pieces. Lay it down in however you like to arrange on a plate. Add some mayo mustard on top it’s delicious!
Mayo Mustard Drizzle sauce
- Mayo mustard is easy to make. Just take 2 oz Mayonnaise and 1tsp to 2 tsp yellow mustard and mix together in a bowl. Taste it until you like it.
- You can use a piping bag to drizzle the sauce right on top. It adds another amazing flavor to the hot dog sushi roll and who doesn’t want a little mustard on a hot dog?
Incase you need a Sushi rice recipe here it is!
Sushi rice recipe
3 cups of Sushi rice ( sticky short grain rice)
1/2 cup Mirin
1 tsp Rice vinegar
3 TBsp sugar
2 pinches salt
- 3 cups of washed sticky sushi rice. You need to wash the rice until the water runs clear. Then let the rice soak in the water for at least 30 minutes before you cook it in the rice cooker.
- While the rice is cooking, make the seasoning for the rice in a pot over medium heat. Pour in mirin, rice vinegar and dissolve the sugar and salt. Turn the heat off and let the mixture cool.
- When the rice is cooked, take the rice out into a bowl and let it cool down. You want to cut the omelette into long strips for sushi rolls.