Korean Rice Porridge with Purple Rice
Imagine the three bears story and how they would love the smell of this delicious savory porridge. It is Korean purple rice porridge. How I make a light color purple is that I do a ratio of 2 cups of sticky rice and only small handful of purple rice, so it doesn’t make entire rice look dark and black. I also allow the rice to soak for about 15-20 minutes before I cook in the pot. This rice porridge requires anchovy stock as a base and from there you make the rice porridge. It only takes about 30 minutes or less on a low simmer to make this dish and it is perfect on a cold spring afternoon for lunch or an easy dinner too.
Use a small pot and fill the pot half way up with water and that will be how much stock you make.
- about 2 quarts anchovy stock ( anchovies, kelp and garlic and radish simmer for 30 minutes and the strained)
- Sticky Rice 2 cups
- 2 oz of Purple rice ( small handful)
- half of an onion
- sliced carrots
- salt, pepper, soy sauce and sesame oil
- In a small pot make anchovy stock. It takes abut 30 minutes on a low simmer. In the meanwhile you can wash rice and let it soak for several minutes.
- Dice up the onions, scallions and carrots. I like to buy shredded carrots to make life easier.
- When the stock is finished and strained return the stock to the same pot add the rice and diced onions. Let it simmer on a low simmer for about 30 minutes. Have a timer on so you don’t forget it. It needs to be stirred in between cooking time. You might have to add more water to it, if it gets too thick.
- When the rice has turned to mushy rice porridge it’s time to season it with salt, pepper, soy sauce and sesame seed oil. Taste it before you add more of anything.
- Top it with some fresh scallions and Furikake and serve it up hot!