Korean side dishes ( Banchan)
After a ten day vacation it’s time to get back into the kitchen and make some easy Korean side dishes. Korean side dishes are called ” banchan.” I made three different types within about 1 hour! It is pretty fast process anybody can do it. You can eat these side dishes with your lunch or dinner. It adds to ramen bowls too.
Ingredients (rough estimates here)
4-5 pieces of small pickle cucumbers ( wash well)
3 TBSP Kosher salt
*2 tsp Apple cider vinegar
*2 TBSP sugar
*1-2 TBSP Korean chili pepper powder
*2-3 TBSP Korean Hot Pepper Paste
*1 tsp Mirin
*2 stalks Scallions
*2 cloves garlic and 1 small wedge ginger (Peeled and Chopped)
- Taking 1 cucumber and slice the thinly into circles. In half if you like them smaller pieces. I leave them in circles. Set into a bowl and add the kosher salt. Let it in the bowl for about 15-20 minutes until the salt has drawn out the water.
- When the cucumber is wilted, rinse them in a colander under cold water for about 1 minute.
- Next it’s time to season the salted cucumbers. Using the ingredients you see with a star. I mix the ingredietns using my cleaned hands. I like to use plastic gloves because I don’t like getting the spicy chili powder on my skin. If you don’t want to get messy and you do not have a plastic glove around just use a wooden spoon.
- Taking a plastic container with a lid place the cucumber kimchi into the cotainer. Seal it with a lid and refrigerate for about 2-3 days before eating it.
- Bean Sprouts
Bean sprouts ( rinsed thoroughly)
2 TBSP salt
1 scallion ( thinly sliced)
1 minced garlic clove ( you can add 2 pieces if you love garlic)
*Sesame seed oil
*Toasted Sesame seeds
*garlic ( peeled and minced)
- Wash the bean sprouts in a colander, and take out any brown ones out. Anything that looks spoiled.
- Taking a pot add water half way and place a lid and boil the water. Once it is at a boil turn down the heat to a simmer.
- Add 2 TBSP of salt let it dissolve. This takes about 1 minute.
- Next add the bean sprouts to the hot simmering water let it cook for only 2 minute and then strain and rinse the in cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Now, it;s time to place into a prep bowl and season and flavor it.
- Slice the scallions and add peeled minced garlic clove.
- Using a plastic glove add the rest of the ingredients with into the bean sprouts and mix it well.
- Place the bean sprouts into a container refrigerate to eat with your dinner.