Oxtail Tomato Soup
It’s easy to make but it takes over 5 hours to get a good ox tail soup mainly because it take a long time for the meat to melt with all of that fat on it. You want it really falling off the bones. If you only give it 3 hours you will have to gnaw the meat off the bone and that will be harder to eat.
1 pack of ox tails
1 small white onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 can of whole peeled tomatoes
salt, pepper, sesame seed oil and soy sauce
- First things first you need to do a blood bath. It means take a pot large enough to over water cover the oxtail and place onto the stove and boil it for about 20 minutes with a lid on. After you 20 minutes you see this cloudy fatty stuff rise to the top well that’s what we want to get rid of, the grossness. Strain the water out. It will make for easier broth making.
- Next you should rinse the oxtail in cold water. Clean out the pot you just used to boil the blood bath. Once pot is cleaned the next step is to place the oxtail back into the pot, and add cold water again to cover it. Place onto the stove and put turn the heat to a simmer,
- Slice up fresh ginger just three medium size pieces. Peel and slice onion and the garlic too. Add it all to the pot and let it simmer for 1 hour. Always have a lid on. Put a timer on if you like.
- Open up the can of whole peel tomatoes. crush the whole tomatoes or you can use kitchen shears to cut them up into pieces. Place the tomatoes and the juice into the stock pot. Let it simmer for another 3 hours stir it every once in awhile.
- During this time make some rice to go with the soup. It can cook while the ox tail is still simmering.
- Check for tenderness. If the oxtail is not falling off the bone by the 5th hour you can turn up the heat a little bit more. You need to keep a watch on the pot if you do this, incase of overflowing. If it is tender enough season the soup with salt, pepper and soy sauce and the sesame seed oil. I tend to generally salt the soup and taste it over and over until it’s perfect. You might like it less saltier in that case be careful how much salt you put into the broth.
- Eat it with some rice it makes for a delicious meal any time of the day!