It’s that time of year again where we make pumpkin everything. For me, I like to make two kinds of pumpkin treats, pumpkin pie and pumpkin cake. It’s a simple recipe to follow, as this recipe is interchangeable with carrot cake. I love King Arthur flour website for a lot of baking recipes. However, I do have some minor changes to the recipe to make it fit for my purposes. This recipe can be made for cupcakes, loaf pancake or a bunt cake. I have done all three and it works great. Another quick baking tip, I like to add the vanilla extract to my eggs so that I don’t forget to add that ingredient. It doesn’t harm the recipe.
- 10 1/2 ounces vegetable oil
- 14 ounces sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/4 ounce cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp pinch of nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 8 1/2 ounces All-purpose flour
- 6 oz of pumpkin puree ( 100% pure pumpkin)
- Cinnamon sugar for the topping
Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees
Spray non-stick cooking oil on the bunt or loaf pans, if that is what you chose to bake the batter.
- Measure all ingredients and have it set out ready for mixing. Let the eggs get to room temperature, that is best for baking cakes. This takes about 20-30 minutes.
- Sift the flour, then add in baking soda and salt together into a dish and set that aside.
- Mix in a mixing bowl all the remain ingredients, except for the flour. Mix together oil, sugar, spices, pumpkin puree, vanilla extract and eggs. Mix it really well.
- Now add the flour and mix well again. Making sure all ingredients are well combined.
- Pour the batter into a pan and bake it.
- Cupcakes take 20 minutes
- Loaf Pan up to 50-60 minutes
- Bundt cake 50-55 minutes (depending on your oven)
- Sprinkle cinnamon sugar over the bundt cake
- Leave the loaf pan cake plain or cover with powder sugar
- Cupcakes, you follow a basic cream cheese frosting recipe
A good way to test if your cake is baked all the way is using the toothpick method. Yes, a spring oven is an important appearance to the cakes but you never know when the center of the cake batter might still need a few more minutes to bake.
Basic Cream Cheese frosting recipe
1 stick of room temperature unsalted butter
1 pack of room temperature cream cheese
3 cups of powder sugar
3 TBSP of milk or water
1 tsp of vanilla extract