Scallion fried rice with eggs
It’s a soy sauce free fried rice, it’s a side dish meant to pair with a Vietnamese lemongrass pork chop that I made to go along with it. Of course you pair it with any meat, chicken breast or steak. If you don’t want any meat you can have this rice as is. Leave out the egg if you don’t want it. I use a Chinese white pepper powder that I like to use to make the food tasty. It’s sorta of a secret ingredient. Again, you don’t have to use it but it does add another layer of flavor to the fried rice. This fried rice is not super flavorful as it is a side dish for a main protein.
2 cups of cooked long grain rice ( Jasmine is nice)
2 oz of chopped cilantros
2 scallions chopped
2 clove of garlic minced
1/4 of an onion diced
3 scrambled eggs
salt and white pepper powder
Fresh Basil and Mint washed and minced ( optional)
Peas & Carrots ( completely thawed or per cooked is even better)
- Prepare all the ingredients to be lined up and ready to go into the hot wok. It makes for easier cooking.
- Taking your wok and placing onto the burner turn the heat onto medium high heat. Add some cooking oil. Eye ball it to about 1 TBSP.
- Taking a bowl scramble three eggs and add a pinch of salt to it. Whisk it little more incorporating a little air. Pour the eggs into the hot wok and scramble it. Don’t cook it completely through as it will finish cooking at the end when you fold the fried rice over it. Taking the scrambled eggs place onto a plate. Set it aside for later use.
- Add some cooking oil to the wok again, turn the heat slightly higher, add the onions and peas and carrots ( unfrozen vegetables) Stir fry it a for abut 1-2 minutes.
- Add mince garlic and half of the scallions. Add the cooked long grain rice into the wok and using a spoon and a spatula combine the ingredients together.
- Add salt and white pepper. Taste it a few times before you add anymore salt or pepper to the rice. When it is thoroughly combined add the scrambled eggs and stir to combine once again and then add the cilantros, basil and mint and the last of the scallions.
- Turn off the heat and serve it up with your choice of protein or eat it just as it is!