Spinach Quiche with scallions and toasted sesame seeds
Spinach quiche was something I learned how to make recently for the Easter holiday. I decided to add a little Asian flare to it by adding scallions and toasted sesame seeds. You can make quiche with or without a crust it’s totally up to you. If you want a crust and don’t feel like making one you can always get a ready made crust from the grocery store. Crust is easy to make if you want do one. I have a recipe for that too. I hope you enjoy this quiche recipe.
Recipe for Crust
3 cups of flour
2 TBsp of COLD shortening ( stick in the freezer for 12-15 minutes)
1 stick of COLD Butter ( stick in the butter into the freezer for 12-15 minutes)
Ice COLD water
2 pinches of salt
Instructions for Crust making
- All fat has to be COLD! The Ice-water must be COLD!
- Taking 3 cup of flour ( all-purpose or bread flour)
- Cut the butter into cubes
- Taking a pastry blender, forks or knives. If you have a food processor that works the best.
- Taking your flour add it to the a bowl or food processor. Pulse the the shortening and butter into the four until it becomes small pea size sand.
- Add super cold ice water about 1 Tbsp at a time. You will probably add 2-4 TBSPs of ice water. It all depends on the dryness of your flour. Some times you want to add more or less ice water.
- You are forming a dough with your hands. You might need extra flour if the dough is too sticky. You should never over work pie crust. Just bring it together in a dough and wrap into plastic wrap in d circular disc shape or in a ziplock bag and rest the dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. You can make the dough 1 day ahead of time will be fine.
- When The crust is nice and cold you can roll it out and lay into a pie dish and crimp the sides. I like to poke whole on the bottom of the pie crust using a folk.
frozen thawed spinach
1 onion ( peeled and diced)
1 tsp of fresh minced garlic
1 cup of melted cheese of your choice ( cheddar,Swiss Gruyere, goat cheese list goes on)
1/2 cup of half and half
2 pinches of salt, pepper and nutmeg
2 scallions cut and toasted sesame streets
2 pinches of salt and white pepper
2 TBsp of Unsalted butter
Directions Preheat oven 350 degrees
- Prep all of your ingredients. Dice the onions, take out as much as of the water from the thawed spinach. Measure about a cup of melted cheese into a cup or bowl.
- Taking a non stick pan or skillet place it over a medium heat allow it to get hot.
- In the meantime crack the eggs place into bowl add the half and half, salt, pepper and pinch of nutmeg.
- Add 2 TBsp of unsalted butter as it melts add the onions stir add a pinch of salt and stir. Add the spinach and combine with the spinach with the onions. Let it simmer for 2 minutes on medium low heat.
- In the meantime take some cheese and spread all over the bottom of the pie crust. Less or more it depends on your love for cheese.
- Back to the frying pan, you can add another pinch of salt and pepper to give it another bit of seasoning. Cut the heat off and lay the spinach and onions into onto of the cheese in the pie pan.
- Taking your whisked eggs pour it all over the spinach and onions add the fresh chopped scallions and sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds on top. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 30-35 minutes. You want to see no jiggle in the middle. A firm center is best.
- Optional ideas is you can stop the cooking proc