Tonkatsu on top of Spinach Mushroom Risotto
It’s a creative cuisine that I came up with when craving tonkatsu and not tired of eating it with plain rice with cold cabbage as the side dish. So I decided why not make a simple spinach and mushroom risotto to go long with this dish. It works and it’s delicious. Two worlds collide in my kitchen, Japanese and Italian.
Let’s get started! Hopefully I can make this as easy as possible for my readers.
Start off with needing to make the thing that takes the longest to make. The risotto takes the longest to make but I have a cheat way about it. I take about 1 1/2 cups of risotto rice and cook it in the rice cooker. I add some water and let the rice cooker cook it half way for me. This step makes life in the kitchen a lot easier.
Spinach Mushroom Risotto ( serves about 4-6 people)
1 1/2 cups of cooked risotto rice
1 cup of water
2 cups of chicken broth
1 small onion diced
1 clove of garlic
1 cup ( about 5 oz) of fresh spinach ( wash thoroughly or buy it in salad bag)
3-4 pieces of large white button mushrooms
3 TBSP of butter
salt and pepper
Italian cheese blend
Optional ingredients: Saffron and Dry white wine
Instructions ( 30 minutes to prepare)
- Taking a small stock pot, add water and chicken broth, you can also add flavoring like saffron to the broth to make it fragrant . Simmer the chicken broth for about 10-15 minute and keep the broth always on a low simmer as you make the risotto.
- Have out these items ready to go, chopped onions, garlic, fresh spinach and mushrooms chopped. These are go in one at a time but it needs to be ready to go when you need it.
- Taking a non-stick pan or a stainless pan, turn heat to medium high heat. Let it get hot, then add the cold butter as it melts toss in the onions and garlic and smell that deliciousness. As it wilts add the spinach and mushrooms at this point it is optional to add some dry white wine to the ingredients. If you do this you need to let the white wine reduce and allow the ingredients to soak in the wine.
- Next add the risotto rice and begin to pour in the chicken broth one spoonful at a time using a ladle. Stir gently combine ingredients and allowing the hot broth to release the starches in the rice.
- Once the risotto has become creamy and gelatinous it’s time to add some Italian cheese about one handful and fold it into. Next it’s time to season it with salt and pepper. Taste the risotto to see if if you need to add more salt or pepper to it. Once it taste the way you like it place into a bowl.
Tonkatsu Recipe with sauce ( 15- 20 minutes to prepare)
1 package of thin pork cutlets
1 cup of all-purpose-flour
2 cups of panko crumbs
salt and pepper
Instructions for Pork Cutlets
- Take three different prep bowls add to one add flour, the second one add panko the third add whisk the eggs.
- Next you need to a deep fryer or a deep pot a wok will work too. The oil needs to be at 375 degrees. A thermometer would be most important to use if you don’t have a deep fryer.
- If you don’t want to deep fry it you can shallow fry the pork cutlet in a frying pan that takes longer but at least you won’t need to worry about deep frying.
- Taking each pork cutlet season it with salt and pepper, dip it into first the flour, then the egg and last the panko crumbs. You can do this a few at a time or all at once it’s up to you just have a plate or something to land them on as it waits to be cooked up.
- Add one or two pieces of pork cutlet into the deep fry it only takes about 1-2 minutes for it to cook up. The pork cutlets are thin so it won’t take long. The cutlets will flow up to the top and the meat looks white on the inside. Make use use raw tongs for the raw meat and cooked tongs for the cooked meat. Do not mix them up those two tongs it can cause a food and safety issue, called Cross–contamination.
- Once they are all cooked up lay them onto a clean plate and let it aside for plating on top to the risotto. Adding some sauce it will take so umami good!
Ingredients for Sauce and Instructions ( so easy take 1 minute)
1/2 cup of Ketchup
1 TBSP of Worcestershire
1 Tsp of Dijon mustard
3 TBSP of sugar
1 tsp of soy sauce
- Mix all of these ingredients together in a bowl taste the sauce and make sure it’s sweet and has a sour umami flavor. You might have to add more sugar and Worcestershire sauce to achieve that flavor. Then set it aside for later.