Watercress Soup with Undon Noodles
One of the easiest soups to make. It’s healthy and delicious meal for lunch or dinner. There is a long way and a short way about it. It’s all up to you. This recipe requires chicken broth. You can make your own chicken broth from scratch which I will instruct or you can just use store bought chicken broth either one will work. If you are using store bought you probably won’t need to add as much salt and soy sauce to the soup for seasoning. Always taste before adding any seasoning so it doesn’t over power the soup.
Ingredients for Watercress soup with Udon Noodles
8 cups of chicken broth ( liquid measurements)
2 stalks watercress ( rinsed in cold water)
udon (defrosted frozen or refrigerated type)
salt and pepper
Optional items that make the soup extra yummy
fish cakesShiitake mushrooms
frozen seafood dumplings
- If you are using chicken broth recipe from below you don’t need to put in the ginger but you can always add fresh onions into the soup that would be delicious.
- In a large soup pot heat up the chicken broth medium simmer with fresh onions in it and let it get really hot. Make sure you have a lid to cover the pot to the the heat rise prevents reducing of liquids. This will take about 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes you can add the salt, pepper and soy sauce. Taste the soup base before you add ingredients. It is easiest to adjust now, without all the business of the ingredients.
- After seasoning at the watercress, I like green bright look so I don’t let it cook for too long. I say about 20 minute. Within those 20 minutes put udon noodles into it.
- You can add optionals to this to make it a fuller meal for yourself. Once everything is cooked up. I love adding fish cakes, and tofu and poach eggs. It’s like a mini hot pot bowl in some ways.
Chicken Broth from Scratch
1 pack of chicken drum sticks ( 4 to 6 pieces)
1 large piece of Ginger
1 large onion
- Instructions: In a large soup pot add water more than half way. Add the chicken drum sticks and cut up the large ginger into three pieces add it to the pot. Next peel and slice the onion in half and place into the pot. Turn on the heat to a medium low simmer for the first 30 minutes and then lower even more until you get a low simmer for the next 2-3 hours.
- Chicken broth can be made in about 3 hours total. I tend to give it a nice high simmer for the 30 minutes it’s my thing you don’t have to do it. Straight 2-3 hours will be just fine. You can strain the fat as you check on the chicken broth every 20 minutes or strain it after the broth is finished simmering. Remember to use a lid to cover the pot. Keeps the soup from reducing.
- Take the onions and ginger out of the soup and toss it out. You can let the chicken broth cool completely before you use it for soup or use it to make soup right away.
- I can eat this soup all year around even in the hot summers. I hope you enjoy this as well.